A guide for talking to your loved ones about your condition.
- Decide to tell them when there are no distractions and there is enough time not to rush.
- Explain the general physical changes of the condition.
- Provide written resources if they need to process what you have said later.
- Discuss how the chronic illness has impacted you personally, physically and emotionally.
- Tell them as much or as little as you or they feel comfortable with.
- Understand that they may not react how you expect – they may be empathetic or have no concept or understanding of chronic conditions.
- Be prepared to have further conversations with them if needed.