Our core business is evidence-based social research, policy development, advocacy and health promotion. We identify current and emerging health and wellbeing issues impacting all women in the ACT and surrounding region and develop evidence-based solutions to close the gaps.
We advocate on behalf of all who identify as women, especially those experiencing disadvantage and vulnerability.
Women do health differently. Our work is informed by women for women. We bring their stories to the decision-making table. We are local and local matters. Our experience and extensive local network developed over 30 years means we reach cohorts of women others can’t.
Our work is used by governments, the corporate sector, policy makers, service providers and peak bodies to design, improve and deliver services and responses specific to the needs of local women. Women’s Health Matters services include:
- Social research
- Survey design, conduct and analysis
- Policy development
- Educational and training workshops
- Health promotion
Examples of our work can be found on our case studies page.
How we do it
Our work is underpinned by a social determinants of health model.
Health and wellbeing are significantly impacted by social determinants like education, employment, income, access to health services, safe and affordable housing and domestic and sexual violence. The negative health burden of social determinants is greater for women as they are more likely to earn less than men, to be in unpaid caring roles, to be socially isolated or victims of past trauma.
Addressing social determinants of health is critical if we are to achieve health equity and improve population health.
Our work is based on:
- promotion of women’s health and wellbeing
- gendered analysis
- proven data and information based on fact
- advocacy, influence and systems change
- community development and capacity building
- continuous learning and knowledge development
- innovation and creativity
- identifying unmet needs
- holistic and inclusive approaches.
Making a difference locally
Among our many projects we have:
- Developed resources to enhance the health and wellbeing of women having a baby in Canberra [link to website]
- Worked with and continue to engage women in the justice system [link to women in the justice system page]
- Developed a safety mapping tool [link to tool] to improve the safety of Canberra’s public spaces
- Successfully advocated for legislative changes [link to sexual health case study] to close health gaps and ensure ACT women have access to health and wellbeing services specific to their needs
- Developed information and guidance for young women to make informed sexual and reproductive health choices [link to website]
- Measured the impact of Covid-19 on ACT women [link to case study]
To engage our services or find out more please contact our CEO, Marcia Williams, at e: email@example.com or t: (02) 6290 2166.